"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Context
These opening verses introduce the entire book. They explain why Proverbs exists: not merely to make people intelligent, but to make them wise. In the Hebrew understanding, wisdom is the skill of living well. It is about making choices that lead to a flourishing life.
Reflection
Notice that the foundation is not intelligence, wealth, education, or influence. It is "the fear of the LORD."
Here, "fear" does not primarily mean terror. It means deep reverence, humility, and recognizing that the Creator's wisdom is greater than our own. A person who begins there is teachable. A fool, by contrast, rejects correction because they believe they already know enough.
Life Application
Every day we face decisions:
Should I react in anger or with patience?
Should I chase quick money or lasting integrity?
Should I listen before speaking?
Should I admit when I'm wrong?
Proverbs says wisdom begins when we stop asking, "What do I want?" and start asking, "What is right?"
Reflection Questions
1. I'd like you to answer these honestly:
What does "the fear of God" mean to you personally?
2. Looking back over the last year, what decision taught you the biggest lesson about wisdom?
3. Do you find it easier to receive correction or to defend yourself?
Lately God as been teaching me the importance of receiving corrections, A person who wants to be corrected is a person willing to learn and grow.
ReplyDeleteThis really spoke to me. Nobody likes being corrected, but if we're willing to accept it, we'll keep growing. A teachable person never stops learning. Thanks for this.
Delete